Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Random Pictures from April/May

The first picture below is one of my favorites. It was sent to me via e-mail by a complete stranger. When we were on the train to Amritsar there was this couple and their cute baby sitting one row back and to my right. I would glance back every once in awhile to check out the cooing noises I was hearing. The woman would always smile at me. I thought the baby was so cute and I was amazed by her full head of hair! At one of the stops we made along the way the lady got up with her baby - I thought they were getting off, but instead she asked if she could have a picture with me. We took a picture and then she basically just gave me her baby. Then she sat down in front of me for a bit then moved back with her husband. The whole time I was just holding her baby. It was fun - the baby was so cute and not crying or anything. I held the baby for awhile and then gave her back.

They had asked for my e-mail address when I was on the train and about two weeks later I got the picture above.


So for laundry we have this company come to work every Monday and Thursday (although they have been slacking lately and not coming until late on Tuesdays and Fridays). We drop it off one day and then the next time they come back we have clean laundry. They do a pretty good job and it is a fraction of what it would cost in the US. For a bag of laundry it cost me around $10 or so. One annoying part of the laundry is the fact that to keep our laundry straight they have to tag our clothes. They use a paper stapled onto the garment - it has become annoying to take these staples out all the time and leads to bleeding sometimes when you are in to much of a hurry to pull them off. And sometimes a rip in the clothes if they haven't put the staple in the correct place.


Dinner at Punjabi By Nature for another SMEs going away!! This was Ben's last party with us!!


Most of the shoe stores in India get there shoes from up above!! Whether it is because of space or what - most places have there stock of shoes on the second floor. The person down below shows the shoe and yells the size up to the man and he then throws the shoes down. I find it very amusing so I got a picture of it.

Then when they are done with the shoes or they need another size they just throw the shoes back up. Erica wanted to give this a try!! :o)


One Sunday I organized a group dinner at 19 Oriental Avenue - it is an Asian restaurant in the Shangri-La. I had heard it had good sushi. I ended up just getting Thai dishes but it was fabulous! The old manager from the 24 hour restaurant at the Taj now works at 19 Oriental Avenue and when he saw my name on the reservation he recognized it and made sure we had outstanding service! He even sent a drink for me on the house! Above is the entrance to the restaurant! I love Buddha figures so I had to get a shot of this!!


The group at dinner. Left to right - Jennifer, Erica, Vicki, Dan, Dave, me, Kinal, Farzeen, and Riz.


This is the sign on the door to the bathroom stall at work! Thought it was interesting! Plus you never need to bring a paper to the bathroom - it is on the stall door! :o)


This was the bar we went to for Pete and Kinal's going away - Urban Pind. At the end of the night we found the 'Bar Closed' sign and thought it would be a great picture if we all looked sad - not all of us got the memo though!! :o)


The Orient Express is the name of the bar and very nice restaurant in the Taj that we from time to time hang out in and have drinks! Above is Farzeen, Riz, and Juan.


Kinal and Kristin ant Orient Express.


My good friend Avery came to town to visit for a long weekend. She was in Singapore for work and was able to get the time off to come visit. Above is us at Akshardham Temple. It is a Hindu temple that was completed towards the end of my last visit. It is a truly amazing temple - definitely worth visiting if you are ever in Delhi. Check out the photo gallery in this link --> http://www.akshardham.com/


On Saturday we made our way to the Taj Mahal in Agra. It was my second visit to the Taj! It was just as beautiful and just as hot as the first time I visited - thankfully not as crowded!!


Above is a picture of them mowing the lawn at the Taj Mahal! I have to admit I've never seen someone mow a lawn with ox!


Jennifer getting hounded outside the Taj Mahal! It was relentless!! In this picture they were trying to sell her pens that had nothing to do with the Taj!


Saturday night we went to Bukhara for dinner. We took this opportunity to get dressed up in our Saris! I bought mine when I was in Kerala and finally got the shirt made so I could wear it.


Avery and I at Bukhara!


Erica, Vicki, and I in our saris!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home