Sunday, March 12, 2006

Last week in Delhi - of my first trip!

Here is 'family of three' on a bike! Do you see the toddler between the two men.


Here is another little boy on a motorcycle (just to the left of the white car) - safety on the roads is not their biggest concern!


I like to call this the Home Depot of India. Just below the billboard you will see wood and such that they sell - like at Home Depot! :o)

This is the view on one of the roads to work. Very congested both on the road and all around the road.


Malls are very big business in Gurgaon and now they are building a lot of the big malls in Delhi as well!


I think I've told a lot of you about how men just pee on the side of the road like it is nothing! You usually see atleast 3 a day if not more. I was finally able to get a picture of it! This guy is being much more discrete then most men are! This guy goes a little off the road - most men just do it right on the side of the road so you can't fail to miss it!


Here are soem of the associates I work with in India!


Above are the taxis that we ride around town in! They are called Ambassadors! I would love to take an all black one home w/ me. They are not made for tall people at all. Every time I get in the car I have to remember to duck or I'll hit my head on the top of the car! The guys in the outfits are the guys that open the doors for us and help call us taxis.


This is in one of the popular shopping areas. These are stray dogs but I guess the shop keepers feel bad for them and during the winter put outfits on them to keep them warm.


One of the sites on our drive to work - a heard of sheep heading down the road to get shaved. The next day we saw them going back the other way.


More of the group I work with in India.


Another shot of everyone. If you click on the picture to enlarge it you will see particles in the background of the picture - this is just pollution - it is so thick sometimes that it shows up in pictures!!



Birthday celebrations are a very big thing at work. You get a cake and the traditional thing is to smear the cake on the Birthday persons face - kind of like we do for weddings. Sometimes it gets out of control but very fun!!


On my very last day in India I decided to go off on my own and see some of the sites of India - since I hadn't done much in my three months in India. My first stop was a toilet museum. I know it sounds weird but it was actually very interesting. India was actually the first country to have sanitary toilets back in BC 2500. Some how they quickly fell behind in innovation in this area!


Microwave toilet - the toilet of the future - requires no water!


Old school toilet - doubles as a chair!!


India Gate - one of the most popular sites in Delhi. I it looks very similar to the tomb of the unknown soldier in Paris and it has the same type of things. All of the Indians that died in WWI and the Indo-Pakistan war are memorilized here. They also have an internal flame to the unknown soldier.


Little kid the was following me around the entire time at India Gate trying to get me to buy a balloon.


Park to the side of India Gate. This is a very popular park for families and young couples to hang out in. It was very beautiful!


Some sites in Old Delhi.


More of Old Delhi - along the road to Red Fort.


And more....


Front of pare of Red Fort.


preparation for an Indian wedding. During the time I was leaving it was considered the most popular time for weddings in India. Several times traffic was horrendous because wedding parties were causing traffic jams during the middle of the week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ang - make your picks for the pool!!!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home