Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Week of August 22nd!

I woke up one morning this week and these guys were out mowing the lawn. I found it to be a very unusual way to mow a lawn. The two guys in front pulled the mower while I guess the guy in back steered.


So below are the pictures of the modern buildings and then things going on surrounding the modern buildings. These pictures are from Gurgaon on the drive to work.

Can't tell to much from the picture below but there is some type of funky part to the building (to the right in this picture) - not sure if it is functional or just for looks.

As soon as I took the two pictures above the guy below was making his way down the same road.

You can see the modern building in the back ground of this picture of mom and her babies! I hope their not all hers!!

The modern building in the background of the picture above.


Me trying on a Sari. A lot of the SMEs have bought Sari's - I'm not sure that I'll get one because they are expensive and I really won't get to wear it any where. The one below would be way to dressy for work. I did buy some Indian clothes - I'll try and take pictures when I wear the outfits to work! I was all excited to wear them to work when I was shopping but now that I have them I keep putting off wearing them. I feel a little silly in them because they are so different from what I usually wear. And I keep thinking people are going to be laughing at this white girl wearing Indian clothes! :o)


The SMEs who had bought Indian clothes wanted a chance to wear them so we had a formal dinner at an Indian restaurant call Bukhara. The restaurant is in the Sheraton hotel and is very popular with American's because this is where Bill Clinton eats when he comes to India. I'm not a big fan of India food but this restaurant was AWESOME!! Now I'm going to try a few more Indian restaurants to see if I really like Indian food or if this place just does something different! Below is Amritha (Orlando), Abbas (Lincolnshire), and Beth (Atlanta).


View of all the awesome meat!!


After dinner we drove up to the northern suburbs of Delhi to go to a club called Elevate. The drive up there was a very different site from everything else I had seen in India so far. We got on a highway and the highway was very much like one you would find in the US - in fact it made me feel like I was in Miami or something like that. Obviously not as nice as Miami but similar views from the highway. The club was in the top of a mall. The mall was amazing - it was about 6 or 7 floors and it was very modern - again like something you'd see in the US. Unfortunately we couldn't bring cameras into the club because I would have loved to have taken pictures. The club was amazing - it was just like a club you'd find in New York or some big city like that. It was very stylish and expensive. And I don't just mean expensive for India. To get in it was 500 rupees (almost $12) and that was only if you were a couple. If you were by yourself it was 1000 rupees. Drinks ranged from 300 - 500 rupees - or at least the ones I had. It just amazes me how you can go shopping and eat food that is so cheap in one place but you go to another place or a club like this and it is so expensive. Someone told me that this club was ranked the number one club in Asia - it got my vote! We had a really good time. They played mostly top 40, hip-hop, and Indian songs. There are some Indian songs that I'm really starting to like!

Flowers I got in my room. All the other SMEs were getting flowers in their room so I asked for some too!!


Some other interesting stories from this past week...

The SMEs are split up at two different hotels. The word is that the Grand has better food and bathrooms and the Taj has better service. I learned just how good our service is!! The hotel ask to have a preference meeting with us so they can find out what we like or don't like so they can better service us. In the meeting I mentioned that I would like to have a clock in my room. It was driving me crazy not having anything to glance at to find out the time - especially at night. I told them it didn't have to be an alarm clock because we could get wake up calls. So the meeting was in the morning, by the time I got home from work I had a big wall clock on my wall. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but I was pretty impressed they had it there that quickly. So then the next day I was down in the gym working out - I looked over to see what time it was and guess what... no clock. They took the clock from the gym and put it in my room because I had made the request. I was very grateful but I had to laugh. A little more than a week later they finally got a new clock for the gym!

Another thing that I've learned is pretty constant is people using the bathroom on the side of the road. I had seen this a bunch on my trip to Agra but now that I have been driving to the office for a couple weeks I realize it is common place. A guy will just pull his car off the road get out, go to the bathroom, get back in his car and take off. And again they don't take much effort to conceal themselves. One drive home I saw 3 people using the bathroom - one girl we drive with said that is her record - 3 in one day! Can you imagine driving down Peachtree Road and seeing this!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home